Tucked in the country cane fields of Childers, Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream will delight any ice-cream lover, with gluten-free and dairy-free options.
Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream is a family owned and operated business making ice-cream with a secret family recipe, winning awards since the 1990s.
The reigns have been handed on to Leo and Helen Mammino, keeping the business in the family.
We thoroughly enjoyed the flavours we bought. I had Cuppamammino, a coffee and macadamia ice-cream. The ice-cream is creamy and the coffee flavour is delightful.
Jack had Cookies Creamo Supremo, a vanilla ice-cream with chocolate biscotti. Daniel (who was dairy free at the time) had Raspberry Sorbet. Both were delicious.
Enter via a driveway from the road, drive passed the small shop that appears to be attached to the family home to the parking area. An old wooden table and a couple of wooden bench seats are next to the parking area.
Surrounded by cane fields, there are various objects around, such as an old tree stump fashioned into a well and old rusting farming equipment.
Enter the shop and the decision-making process begins. Mammino’s is not just ice-cream, they are also macadamia nuts. A brown sign for Mammino Macadamia’s is at the entrance of the driveway.
A range of macadamia products is displayed. In addition to a variety of flavoured macadamia nuts, macadamia butter, macadamia fudge, and macadamia oil are available. For those who have ever tried cracking open macadamia nut shells before, the macadamia nut cracker will have some appeal.
The ice-cream, however, is the star product at Mammino’s and this is where the decision-making is really needed. The challenge is calling in at Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream every time I’m heading through Childers to try another flavour.
Macadamia nut flavours are well represented, as you would expect. Fruit flavours are made with real fruit for both the ice-cream and sorbet. Being in the Bundaberg tourist region, they had to have a couple of flavours with Bundaberg Rum, one of them using the Royale Liqueur that is hard to get outside of the Bundaberg Rum Distillery itself.
Sizes start with a single serve cup. Larger half litre and one-litre tubs are available, to take home or perhaps share while you are there. If these are not big enough, 5-litre tubs can be pre-ordered but plenty of notice is required to avoid disappointment.
Behind the shop is a nicely landscaped area with a few tables and chairs under cover to relax and enjoy your ice-cream.
Macadamia Nut Flavours
- Marvellous Macadamia – Vanilla Macadamia
- Chocolate Macadamia – Chocolate Macadamia
- Cuppamammino – Coffee & Macadamia
- Ginger Macadamia – Vanilla Macadamia & Ginger
- Red Dirt – Jaffa & Macadamia
- Golden Nugget – Vanilla Macadamia & Butterscotch
- Hickory Chicory – Milk Chocolate and Chicory Essence
- Aphrodisiac Avocado – Made with real Avocado
- Bashful Boysenberry – Made with real Boysenberry
- Curvaceous Coconut – Made with real Coconut
- Mouthwatering Mango – Made with real Mango
- Passionate Passionfruit – Made with real Passionfruit
- Sensational Strawberry – Made with real Strawberry
- Voluptuous Vanilla – Vanilla Bean
- Double Chocolate – Made with real Chocolate
- Peppermint Perfection – Chocolate with Peppermint Pieces
- Cookies Creamo Supremo – Vanilla with Chocolate Biscotti
- Extra Sexy Salted Caramel – White with Salted Caramel
- Rum & Raisin – Chocolate, Bundy Rum & Raisins
- Rum Royale – White with Bundy Run Royale Liqueur
- Baileys Bliss – White with real Baileys Irish Cream
- Mango – Made with real Mango
- Raspberry – Made with real Raspberry
- Lemonade – Made with real Lemonade Fruit
To get there:
Heading west (north from Brisbane) on the Bruce Hwy, 400m after coming into town turn right into Goodwood Rd with the brown sign for Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream. Follow for 1.5km and turn right into Doolbi Dam Rd and continue for 250m and turn right again into Lucketts Rd. If you miss Doolbi Dam Rd, the next right is Lucketts Rd. Follow Licketts Rd for 100m and the entrance to Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream is on the right with a brown sign for Mammino’s Macadamias.
Alternatively, you can turn into Licketts Rd directly from Bruce Hwy before reaching Childers, with a dedicated turn lane. There is no brown sign at or before Licketts Rd and can easily be missed, in which case follow the directions above. Otherwise, Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream is 1.2km on the left with a brown sign at the entrance for Mammino’s Macadamias.
Heading east (south from Bundaberg or Gin Gin) on the Bruce Hwy, head through the town. After crossing the railway line, continue for 400m and turn left into Goodwood Rd with the brown sign for Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream. Follow for 1.5km and turn right into Doolbi Dam Rd and continue for 250m and turn right again into Lucketts Rd. If you miss Doolbi Dam Rd, the next right is Lucketts Rd. Follow Licketts Rd for 100m and the entrance to Mammino Gourmet Ice Cream is on the right with a brown sign for Mammino’s Macadamias.
Cost: Free to visit, ice-cream starts at $6 for a cup
Hours: Mon-Sun 9am-5pm
Food: Yes, ice-cream
Wheelchair accessible: Yes,