The Grandchester Railway Station is a heritage-listed historic railway station built in 1876, part of the National Trust in Queensland.
Originally known as Bigge’s Camp, it was the western terminus of the first section of the Main Line from 1865, the first railway line in Queensland and the first narrow gauge main line constructed in the world.
The railway main line connected Brisbane from Ipswich through to Toowoomba, which had a few challenges with terrain. The first two railway tunnels in Queensland were built on the next stage passed Grandchester and are still in use today.
Grandchester is the name used now but the original name is still represented close by. Bigges Camp Park is another brown sign not far from the station, commemorating the original name as a stop along the Cobb & Co route.
The historic railway station is only open from 10am to 2pm on the first Sunday of the month between March and November. We followed this brown sign in October but it was on the third Saturday so we missed out seeing it properly.
It can’t be viewed from the road either. When it is closed the gate is quite a way off with only the side of the unusual square-shaped water tank viewable from a distance.
If you do go at the right time, the Grandchester Model Steam Railway rides are on the same day so you can make a day of it with the family.
To get there:
Grandchester Historical Railway Station is on the Cobb & Co Tourist Drive . From Rosewood Staging Post, head north on John St and turn left at the roundabout towards Grandchester. Follow Rosewood Laidley Rd for 13.5km and after crossing the railway line, turn left at the brown sign for Historic Railway Station. The entrance is along the track.
Coming from Laidley, head south on Patrick St/Vaux St to the end and turn right at Drayton St. Drayton St becomes Rosewood Laidley Rd, follow for 8.2km and turn right (straight ahead) at the brown sign for Historic Railway Station. The entrance is along the track.