The historical site at Nevilton marks the location of the St Peter’s Lutheran Church of Headington Hill.
The Headington Hill church was built in 1902 until it moved to the current location in Nobby in 1941.
There is not much remaining of the old site, however, there is a little more than the Mount Kent site with a couple of grave sites.
There are 3 or 4 graves remaining from the church’s cemetery of very young children.
The most ornate headstone is Elsa Nichterlein, the oldest of the ground passed away under 2 years old in September 1917. The grave has been restored at some time with a new fence around it.
To the left is Frederick William Kowald, barely a month old when he passed away in 1904. It is surrounded by an iron spoked fence.
The youngest is Christina Wissemann with her death the same day she was born, in August 1952. Christina is the only grave dated after the church was moved to Nobby.
To get there:
From Toowoomba, head south on the New England Hwy towards Warwick. After leaving Toowoomba, follow the New England Hwy for about 9.2km where Drayton Connection Rd joins the highway and veer left to continue towards Warwick. Continue for another 29.2km and turn left into Carey Rd at the brown sign for Historical Site. Follow Carey Rd for 1.3km and the site is on the right with another brown sign.
From Allora, coming out from Warwick St, head north towards Toowoomba. Follow the New England Hwy for about 13.2km and turn right into Gatton Clifton Rd towards Gatton. Follow Gatton Clifton Rd for 2.9km and turn left into Carey Rd at the brown sign for Historical Site. Follow Carey Rd for 1.3km and the site is on the right with another brown sign.
Wheelchair accessible: No