The Historical Museum in Landsborough was the original Landsborough Shire Chambers opened in 1924 after the Caboolture Shire Council was divided into Caboolture, Kilcoy and Landsborough Shires.
The chambers moved to Caloundra in 1968, and the building was closed for use by the council in 1974. The Shire of Landsborough Historical Society acquired the building in 1975 and reopened it as a museum in the following year.
The collection relates to the historical aspects of the Landsborough area, including three rare dead man pennies, and items from William Landsborough, the explorer the Landsborough township is named after. Notable accomplishments of William Landsborough is he was the first explorer to complete a north to south crossing of Australia and was one of the parties sent to locate Burke and Wills with they went missing.
Groups of 10 or more need to be arranged beforehand. For an extra $10 per group, the museum can provide morning tea and a butter making demonstration.
* This location has been registered, meaning it hasn’t been reviewed by Brown Signs. It was out of hours when the destination was attended.
To get there:
From Steve Irwin Way (take exit 163 heading north on Bruce Hwy, or exit 188B heading south), turn into Railway St for the Landsborough township. After 350m, turn left into Maleny St, crossing over the railway line. The museum is 170m on the left after crossing the railway line.
Cost: Adult $10.00, Pensioner $9.00, Concession $9.00, Child (0-14) $3, Child free with paying Adult, Group Adult $5.00, Group Child $3.00
Hours: Wed-Fri 9am-3pm, Sun 9am-3pm, last entry 30 minutes before closing
Wheelchair accessible: Yes, entry has a ramp