The Allora Historical Museum on Drayton St is the home of the Allora Historical Society and may be the oldest existing building in the town.
The building was built in 1866 in Raff St as Allora’s first court house. A new court house was built in 1884 and this building was moved by the School of Arts to its current location in Drayton St.
Allora Historical Museum has an extensive collection of history, locally and the Darling Downs region. With a large display of approximately ten thousand items and well over two thousand photos, there is a lot to have a look at.
A replica of the Talgai Skull is on display in the museum. The Talgai Skull is the first human skull found exposed on the banks of the Dalrymple Creek after heavy rain, at the Talgai Homestead a few kilometres west of Allora.
The age of Talgai Skull is varied with a radiocarbon date determining it to be around 13,500 years old. The skull is now housed at the Sydney Museum.
The Allora Historical Museum in Drayton St was closed when we visited, undergoing upgrades and maintenance at the time. They are now open Sunday afternoons and they are happy to accommodate at other times by appointment made a few days prior.
The museum has another location on the corner of Warwick St and Forde St in what was once the town hall of Allora. In May 2019, this building was undergoing restoration, so check beforehand if you want to go there.
To get there:
From the New England Hwy, turn into Allora into Warwick St at the signs for the Allora Town Centre. After 550m, turn right into Herbert St and continue for another 200m and turn on the first left into Drayton St with the Museum brown sign. The museum is 180m from the corner on the left.