The park was established in 1921 and named Coronation Park in 1937 in commemoration of the coronation of King George VI. It was renamed to Elizabeth Park in 1954 to coincide with the visit of Queen Elizabeth II before changing its name again to Elizabeth Park Rose Gardens in 1961, with 4,000 rose bushes donated for it to become a rose garden.
Elizabeth Park Rose Gardens was Maryborough’s second official cemetery opening in 1871, the first was at the original Maryborough site where the pioneer
A new cemetery replaced it in 1873. Between 1907 and 1921, existing headstones and graves (many early pioneers could not afford headstones) were moved to the new cemetery and the old cemetery became a public park. It is believed there are some graves that remain.
The design of the gardens is the result of a design competition that was held before the opening in 1954. Ideas were used from the winning design as well as those from other entrants.
A rotunda sits in the middle of the park with some seating and information about the park and a plan and index of the grave sites from the old cemetery.
At the corner of Prospect and Wood Sts is a toilet block and picnic tables. A drinking fountain is in the middle of the park.
To get there:
Head south on Bruce Hwy, take the exit towards Maryborough and Hervey Bay onto Walker St. Follow Walker St for 3.2km and turn right into Tooley St. Follow for 300m and the Elizabeth Park Rose Garden is on the right side of the street.
Heading north on Bruce Hwy, on crossing Mary River continue on the highway for 900m passed the first exit for Maryborough and turning right at the next into Walker St. Follow Walker St for 3.2km and turn right into Tooley St. Follow for 300m and the Elizabeth Park Rose Garden is on the right side of the street.
Coming from Hervey Bay, head towards Maryborough on Saltwater Creek Rd. In Maryborough, Saltwater Creek Rd bends to the right becoming John St. Continue on John St for 600m and turn right
Wheelchair accessible: Yes, grass with gentle slope
Pets: Yes, on leash