The Captain Logan Memorial is in commemoration of Captain Patrick Logan, a commandant of the Moreton Bay convict settlement in the 1820s.
Patrick Logan led several expeditions, including naming the Logan River in 1826, and climbing Mount Barney in 1828 with Allan Cunningham and Charles Fraser.
Anxious to complete his survey map of the upper stretches of the Brisbane River, Captain Patrick Logan set out in October 1830. It ended with his murder on 18th October, understood to be by native Aboriginals. There is controversy of what really happened and convicts may have encouraged the Aboriginals to kill him.
A monument sits in the middle of a small grass field along Mt Lindsay Road heading towards Beaudesert, a large stone with a plaque inset into it. There are no other facilities at the park, no toilets, picnic table, or even a shady tree.
The park and monument isn’t noticeable from the road with a small brown sign at the entrance and other sign 200m on approach. The entrance looks like a road works site, possibly used for storing supplies.
The plaque at the monument reads:
Captain Patrick Logan
Commandant of Moreton Bay Penal Settlement 1826-1830
While exploring the Logan Valley, he crossed the river (which bears his name) due west of this point on July 28, 1828.
On the 3rd August 1828, he was the first man to climb Mt. Barney (the source of this river).
Erected by the Historical Society of Beaudesert Inc. 1991
To get there:
From Beaudesert, head north towards Jimboomba along Mount Lindesay Hwy. From the Arts and Crafts Information Centre (corner of Enterprise Dr), follow Mount Lindesay Hwy for 2.2km. The entrance to Captain Logan Memorial is on the left with a brown sign.
From Jimboomba, from the last traffic lights heading south along Mount Lindesay Hwy towards Beaudesert, continue for 15.6km. There is a brown sign 200m before the entrance, and a small brown sign on the right at the entrance to Captain Logan Memorial.
Wheelchair accessible: No