Cunningham’s Crest Scenic Lookout, following the brown signs from Laidley, offers a panoramic view over the Lockyer Valley and through to Cunningham’s Gap.
It’s name comes from Allan Cunningham whose party stood in 1829 and named the Laidley Plains below. The historical site Cunningham’s Lookout was similarly named on his trek towards finding a passage over the range.
From the parking area, a boardwalk ramp and steps leads up to a rotunda viewing platform, where the views can be seen. Along the ramp are murals and information about the settlers and Aboriginals of the area.
Of the settlers, the information boards talk about Queensland’s need for settlers after the separation from New South Wales in 1859 and representatives were sent to Germany and Ireland to promote the new colony opportunities. Settlers were able to purchase ten or more acres at only 25 cents per acre as long as they lived on and improved the land.
The information boards talk about the traditional Aborigines from the Laidley region and their long occupation of the area and knowledge on managing the resources there. With settlement, their traditional lifestyle changed with many going to the Deebing Creek Mission, others found work and made contributions to the growing industries as stockmen, timber cutters, and servants at the properties.
The Laidley Town Reserve was proclaimed in 1862 and became part of Laidley Shire in 1917. Trains replaced the horse-drawn Cobb & Co and roads and bridges opened the district.
To get there:
From Laidley, head north on the main street from the Information Centre (Das Neumann Haus). After crossing over the railway line turn immediately to the right into Railway St. After 1.2km there is a sharp right hand into Summer St. Follow Summer St which becomes Paroz Rd for 3km to the end. Turn right into Mountain Rd at the brown sign for Scenic Lookout and follow for around 1.4km and turn left to continue on Maintain Rd, then turn right almost immediately into the access track. Follow the hill up to the top to the parking area.